22.1.03

Yesterday, thought I'd share it with you... am still feeling the pains.

Subject: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:30:43 +0100

There's gotta be something about this day, check this out.
I got up this very morning with the intention of spending a few hours of undistracted study in the libray, until lunchtime at least. Full of enthusiasm I began my waking hours by spilling my coffee all over my carpet floor, followed by half an hour of desperate cleaning (the carpet is beige...), my mother shouting at me, breathing down my neck like a vulture. Then, thinking that I might just catch the bus, I leg it to the station, falling down a flight of stairs, totally scraping my hands to flesh. Some old biddy walking by: "Oh those young people, always in a hurry, you're whole life will sail past you...!" I was just about to unleash an avalanche of abuse in her language when I thought 'The bums will always lose, Mr. Lebowski!', which put me onto other emotions and even made me chuckle then. Obviously the day had only started...
Needless to say that I missed the bus, hence got on the train for which I had no ticket (since I was going to take the bus) and promptly that one in a thousand times when a conductor checks the ticket had to be today. So, busted! 60 CHF fine, got the bill there and then. Cigarette? No lighter. 'Great...'
So I get to town eventually, thought I'd best walk to the library after all that, and what do I notice after finding a suitable desk to work on? I left the required literature at home. At this point I realized that this whole day would turn out to be an utter catastrophe so I thought, why not just go to the newspaper and magazine section and read any odd shit for an hour, escaping the uselessness of my current situation and hopefully have a brighter perspective after. To my amazement, this guy I went to school with and never stops talking is sitting there, drinking coffee, typically reading Newsweek like any province nonce who thinks he's exposing himself to some international shit. Before I can turn the other way he sights me and starts blablabla-ing me about the war and 'all those dirty terrorist Arabs' and Bush being stupid, 'they're all just stupid anyway, there no point to this war', starts getting philosophical 'there's no point to any war actually, war is no good, it's fundamentally wrong, this can't be the right solution'. I just nod and after about half an hour I try to excuse myself by referring to my desire to go out and get something to eat. He's like 'Great! Am quite hungry myself, what shall we get!?' We? Needless to say that I got a little salami sandwich, swallowed it in haste, mumbled something about an appointment for which I'm late, literally ran off and took the bus home.
At home I felt this 'phew', quite pleasant actually until I noticed my modem being down and me not having any skins in order to build an undoubtedly necessary and well-deserved bifter. So I get in the car, make the 10 minute drive to the petrol station and buy some skins. Half an hour later, back home, I realize that I left the skins on the counter. At this point I started wondering whether I had actually gone mad. On my second run to the shop I kept trying to verify that this is all just bad luck. Anyway, home finally, I sat down to make one of this month's largest bifter and, how could it be any different, spilled the fucker all over the place. The scrapings from that spillage didn't exactly make the resulting spliff this month's largest dick, in fact there wasn't anything large about it. Got me high a little, so might have to smoke another. So here I am, with some Freesurf Tiscali dial-up wank costing me per minute (and obviously took me another painstaking period of frustration to make it work, but won't go into that), browsing like an old grandma.
I don't know, it's only 3 pm, but I'm not going to make any larger movements anymore. I'm just going to stay high all day - maybe that's what it was, I was sober earlier today, fucking dangerous. I've resigned from this day. Time for a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment