24.6.03

Here is a pretty good run-down of the two best candidates from the Democrat's side (I think, there still are a few candidates I haven't done much research on yet). The author of this table, Bob Harris (Tom Tomorrow's bud), declares himself to be a Kucinich sympathizer and I think he does give Dean short shrift a coupla times. One example; he says Dean will only cut 1/8 of Star Wars funding, when in truth the quote was something more along the lines of 1/8 of the Star Wars budget could pay for x... I forget x, I think it was an elderly prescription bill, but don't quote me. I think I like Kucinich's positions a good bit more, but at the same time... I trust him a little less. Dean has come across as a straight-shooter, while Kucinich has sounded more like a classic politician at times.
A very active internet movement is growing at Move On, which is in the thick of many political issues. Sign up for their newsletters - often very useful stuff. Like recently, they offered all the Dem candidates a chance to write a letter to their membership, and sent the letters from the 3 most popular candidates amongst their membership to our inboxes (Kerrey, Dean, and Kucinich). Read all the letters at Move On (they have letters from Braun, Gephardt, Sharpton, Graham, Edwards, and Lieberman, in addition to the top 3 mentioned above). If you read the Dean v. Kucinich letters, you'll see what I mean about the trust issue... although in interviews, Kucinich comes off very well, while Dean occasionally ducks... and of course, aside from the electability issue, there is the issue of workability. While ya gotta love Kucinich's vision of universal healthcare, a taste of drug legalization, and stand against the death penalty, there is a question as to whether any of it would ever be successful. If Clinton couldn't get anything done on healthcare back when the dems controlled both houses, I have slim hopes for Kucinich, while Dean does have incremental ideas that would be more likely to show gain...

No comments:

Post a Comment