19.1.04

some notes on the debate below, which I don't follow entirely:

my posting on immigration are not about migrants having more neccesity of our pity than others... it just reflects my studies which are throwing up interesting (I think) stuff. If I studied human rights I would post legal/human rights stuff.

we must be careful to distinguish between asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants. Asylum seekers enter illegally (usually) and then claim asylum, if their claim is successful they get refugee status. Immigrants enter by applying for work permits, under a scheme designed by the government to fill jobs where they are needed.

asylum seekers flee persecution, some of them may aspire to be as rich as 'us', but that is not the reason they move.

immigrants aim to better their lives. They may aspire to be as rich as us and in the US their earnings usually overtake those of native born citizens in 10-15 years.

most of the other stuff I don't really get. No, capital is not amoral, yes, we are all implicated in this mess, No, it's not all our fault we were born into it, we can't suddenly or easily make everything better, but we can try and do something which is why I posted those posts about the plight of some individuals with suggested actions at the bottom.

I have posted an essay of mine, (yes, about immigration) which may be of interest to some, on the inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment