2.11.02



"Bill, Ralph and I flew back to the hotel at light speed. As the valet took the keys, Bill darted upstairs to check on Hillary. She was fast asleep. Not one to miss an opportunity, Bill realized he could stay out a little while longer with the boys. The Boca Raton Resort had several bars which were first class and full of patrons. With the conference being over, Bill felt a little more at ease in the hotel, not fearing being seen drunk or womanizing by any of the other governors. We met a couple of people in the
bar and Bill stepped out for a few minutes, long enough for me to become concerned. As I went to look for him, I first checked the bathroom. I called his name but got no answer. Just as I was about to leave, I saw his number 13s protruding from under one of the stalls. "Bill, are you okay?" I asked, knowing there couldn't be another foot that big in Boca Raton. "Yeah, yeah, L.D., these damned sinuses are killing me!" As I retreated to the bar, I realized what was going on. You see, Bill knew that with my prior experiences in drug enforcement I didn't tolerate illicit drug use -- particularly 'nose candy.' I didn't care what he did in private regarding coke, but he knew not to try to use it while we were out making our way through bars in his quest for women. Cocaine would figure into our relationship later on and eventually contributed to the ruination of our friendship.

I think Bill became a little spooked after the bathroom incident, so we decided to take our drinks upstairs. We all three retired to my room where Ralph mixed a nightcap. We had a great night and I decided to take a few snapshots. Bill was zonked and that candy must have been flavorful. I sure hope this photo can be reproduced in color for this book (on the rear cover)."

No comments:

Post a Comment