26.11.02

A few things I've thought since reading and catching up on back issues of this here blog...
First, really brilliant piece on US military in South Korea, and US military in general, SJ. Really liked it, if that's the right word... and people out here wonder why I so vehemently shake my head when I'm asked if I'm army...
Next, for Phil, I think you'll find a good number of the travelling Americans are more objective and reasonable than you would expect, especially outside Europe (home to the college-baby "ooo look at me, I'm a backpacker daddy" 2-weekers). Also, I'm not sure why you disapprove of the street-hawkers so much. Truth be told, I think what I do is much more damaging than them (aren't I an agent of the culture creep, as opposed to basically on the sidelines?) Yes, they get money for worthless trinkets - they are the gypsies of the age. They aren't forcing anyone to buy their wares, and if it's too expensive, no one buys. Perhaps it's that they are competing against the locals selling handmade things and beating them out thru scale-of-economy measures - it's been a long time since I've been to South America and I'm out of touch with the situation there. I'd appreciate a little more commentary on this, tho I know your time is short so I will understand radio silence as well. All I know is over here there ain't no one sellin that junk but foreigners, the majority of them Israelis fed up with their country lookin for ways to escape. Basically don't interfere with the culture or local population, just give drunk businessmen presents for young girls on their arms in the heat of sake. They use the money to move on to the next port, and I think that's fine... while I routinely question my own mission, especially when I was in a conversation school. By the by, China is starving for teachers - I posted my CV last week on a site and have gotten an average of 5 schools courting me every day. Course, with a billion plus, there should be a lotta schools, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment